Working with Jobcentres

How to approach the Jobcentre and who can assist you to help refugees claim benefits

All adult refugees who are resettled via Community Sponsorship will be entitled to claim benefits, and as a Community Sponsorship Group, it’s recommended that you find out as much as possible in your research to complete your application form.  You will be working in the abstract (you won’t know the composition or size of the refugee family you will be supporting at this stage), but there’s some key things that you can do:  

  • Find your Local Jobcentre Plus (JCP) – if you haven’t yet found accommodation, find the closest one to the area you anticipate the refugee family will live in. 

  • Make contact with the Job Centre to find out what the process for registration is

  • Make sure you are briefed on  benefits process and procedures. JCP staff deal with a lot of different programmes so might not be aware of some of the systems for refugees. 

Contacting your DWP Partnership Manager 

Visit for an up to date list of the Partnership Managers in your area. 

*If you are supporting refugees in Northern Ireland, the system for benefits does work differently, so for further advice please contact Reset

Last modified
Thursday, October 21, 2021 - 12:02