As part of your application form, you will be asked to prepare a Welcome Pack for the family. Below is a list of suggested documents you could include. You may wish to add, remove or amend the title of any of these documents – it’s really about what you as a group would like to share with the family.
You may wish to translate some of the documents to the language spoken by the family to enable refugees to read them in their own time (although bear in mind some refugees might be illiterate in their own language as well),or include some information in their language to explain what the pack is for.
However, do note that accurate translation of complex language can be difficult. For this reason, it may be unwise to provide translated versions of documents with legal or safeguarding implications (immigration factsheets, NSPCC briefings, hate crime briefings) but instead you could read through the document with an interpreter, and use this to have a conversation with the refugee/s to ensure they have a clear understanding of the contents:
- Introduction to your group and contact details, including photographs and how to contact them and when.
- Information relating to the property (e.g. turning on heating, how to secure the property, days the rubbish or recycling is collected, who to contact in an emergency relating to the property).
- Introduction to your local area and City/County.
- Map of the local area.
- Bus/train timetables for your local area.
- Useful contacts e.g. GP, Jobcentre, Citizens Advice Bureau.
- Reset's UK price guide, (now translated into Arabic and Kurdish Kurmanji) which you can find in the downloads section on this page.
- NSPCC guides to parenting in the UK:
- Details on the role of interpreters
- Guidance on Fire Safety in the Home (this is currently available in Arabic)
- Your complaints policy, made available in the language the family speak and English
- The Centre for Sustainable Energy have translated factsheets around reading a meter, preventing against damp in a home and other utilities information CSE Factsheets
- Public Health Agency's guide on 5 steps to wellbeing (available in various languages)
- Current Covid guidance on restrictions and compliance in your area. Croeso Menai have kindly provided their self-isolation guidance in English and Arabic which you can download as a PDF or Word from this page.